Co van Kessel Bangkok Tour
Co van Kessel, an innovative and adventurous Dutchman, pioneered bicycle tours in Bangkok more than 30 years ago. As a longtime resident and self-professed lover of Bangkok, he understood very well the picture of accelerated urban development (gridlocked traffic, concrete towers, and choking pollution) that has plagued the recent image of the city. He also had a hunch that this was not what Bangkok or Thailand was all about.
Making it his goal to re-discover Bangkok, Co spent thousands of hours on his mountain bike exploring the vast network of local streets, alleyways, footpaths and canals between the main urban thoroughfares. What he found, lurking behind the facade of modernization, were hidden worlds of peace and tranquility, a picture of ‘real’ Thai life that has remained unchanged for countless decades; an identity of a city that is true to the Thai people, yet largely unknown to outsiders.
Whether it’s the colorful sights and smells of the local markets, the fascinating life of locals along the canals, or the surprising existence of bountiful green belts, Co discovered the essence of what makes Bangkok one of Asia’s most captivating cities. Since then, it has been his mission to share these discoveries with the rest of the world.
Sadly, with his passing in July, 2012, Co is no longer with us to see his vision through. However, armed with not only his inspiration, but also his bountiful knowledge, the CVK team will now carry on the torch of bicycle-based discovery in Bangkok… just the way Co would have wanted it!
- English speaking guide
- Bicycle usage
- Child/adult helmets (if desired)
- Train ticket
- Long-tail boat
- Personal expenses such as tips, alcoholic beverage, etc.
- Other services not mentioned on this programme.
- Transfer from/to hotel.
- Distance covered: 25 Km.
- Suitable for children older than 12 years and comfortable riding a bike.
- What you need to bring : Camera, sun-block, sunglasses, cap/hat, appropriate attire for the weather.
- STAFF will meet you at Co van Kessel Bangkok Office (9:00)
- Co van Kessel Bangkok tours is now operating all tours from our exciting new office at the River City Shopping Center. Situated directly on the Chao Phraya River a few kilometers from our previous Chinatown base, our new location will give us even greater access to the unique, behind-the-scenes cultural exploration that our tours are known for. Our office is located on the ground floor (outside entrance), to the right of the main mall entrance past the McDonald’s and the Family Mart, next to the exit ramp of the parking garage.